Name:

Currently the Inn Keeper in Guanajuato, Mexico. Go to www.houseinguanajuato.com to see the wonderful lifestyle I enjoy.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Back to Normal

Adventures in Guanajuato

The Festival ended last night. Lots of fireworks! The current guests (from Australia) joined me on the roof and were entertained by a bombastic display from two sides of town, with the hills echoing and reinforcing the effect. Very nice!

It has been a thrilling week here at GTO. The International Cervantino Festival is nearing its end (which will be about midnight tonight). With this, there has been an acceleration of street performances, and more formal theater performances. A string quartet from Russia was very well received. The street scenes have run the gamut from acts on stilts, mechanical men (and women), jazz combos, sword fights, indian dances full costume, mimes, clowns, a very mature guitar and singing ensemble just down the block, and other spectacles with crowds such that I could never get close enough to see. And that is the score for today! Tomorrow should revert to a normal day, but several times I have had to carry Millie on her 'walks' to get her through the mobs of people.

Weather has been rainy, but it mostly rains at night, so it is not a bother.

This innkeeper is learning. I now know to inventory each suite before renting them for t.p., soap, light bulbs, sheets, plugs for the sink, water, and coffee. Have an Australian couple here now for two more nights. They have daughters 9 and 11 who are about the sweetest little girls I have ever met (excluding grandchildren, of course). They are a delightful family. This gives me courage.

Went to the expatriot Sunday brunch this morning for the first time, with about a dozen there. The total group is about 60 strong, but attendance varies from about 10 to 30, with different combinations and permutations each Sunday. They pick a different restaurant every Sunday, and today it was one about 15 miles out of town, which is enough to boost the altitude from 6,600 feet to over 9,000 feet. It was on a very rough country side road which I would never have taken on my own, through a few dwellings which were almost primitive looking and to the restaurant which was anything but inviting in appearance. And the food was very good, the service excellent, and the site well-known to the old-timers. It continues to be fun, my spanish is improving, my legs are ever better, and today, when I tried to cinch up my trousers (elastic waist) by putting my umbrella inside the waist band, in about two steps the umbrella came out my trouser leg. I now have to find a tailor or seamstress.

And now I make my first attempt to insert a picture into the blog. I have spoken about the dust caused by the renovation inside the house. Here (hopefully!) is the pictorial proof. It can only get better! Hold your breath

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home